Q: What should I know before I contact a bail agent?
A: Provide the bail bondman with the full name of the person under arrest and the location and name of the jail. If available, include the booking number and bond amount. Based on the amount, the bail bondsman can tell you the cost to post bond and any requirements to get the person out of jail.
Q: How do I get a bail bond?
A: There are four ways to secure release from custody following an arrest:
• Engage the services of a bail bonding firm
• Post cash for the full amount of the bond with the court or jail
• Use property, such as a home or business, as collateral to post bond with the court
• The judge may release the defendant without bail on their own recognizance
Q: Do I get my money back after the case is over?
A: There are a few exceptions, but you do not get back the premium you paid to secure the bond. This fee is what allowed the defendant to be released and is payment for the agent’s services.
Q: What do bail bondsmen accept as collateral?
A: Each office has its own standards but, for the most part, examples of collateral include:
• Bank accounts and bonds
• Credit cards and personal credit
• Real estate
For FREE bail bonding information and reliable 24/7 service, call: 601-939-2477